Sunday, February 25, 2007

Feeding the hungry at Easter

I am donating money today to the Union Rescue Mission of Los Angeles to help pay for the big Easter dinner they are preparing. They are expecting more than 2,500 hungry people on Easter Sunday alone.
Homelessness is a big problem in Los Angeles. We have a tent city at the VA where homeless vets live. Almost all our off ramps have people asking for money at them. I don't like to give out cash, so I get a bolt of polar fleece and make blankets to hand out. Even on hot days in California they are appreciated. One person told us how he can now sleep on his friends couch, because we gave him a blanket to sleep on.

Its amazing how one little gift can so change a person's life.

So I was thinking of volunteering at one of the Pasadena's local shelters to help serve Easter dinner, but it seems they don't do it, only Christmas and Thanksgiving. I did however stumble across this fabulous site, which shows you lots of places that need volunteers. I think I'm going to go spend some time there. Looks like a lot more fun than Sunday chores.

No comments: