Saturday, August 30, 2008

Education Generation

Today I helped out two students in developing countries through a new program called Education Generation. Its co-founded by a friend of mine (Shawn Smith), who also founded Agents of Change.

I am supporting Marleni: Marleni wishes to study computer science, but comes from a farming family with 11 siblings (ages: 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 26, 28). The costs of a post secondary education are impossible for her family to contemplate. This scholarship will pay the $500 tuition fee for Marleni and provide for her housing expenses of $500 for the entire year in shared housing with other scholarship recipients. “I would like to become a professional so that I can make something of myself and help my little siblings and parents. I would like to become a professional so that I can excel and stand out from the poor.”

I am also supporting Mohamed Aniffa Muthazar. Aniffa has been offered a place to study commerce, a monumental achievement for someone from his village, and his dream is to get his family back on their feet. There are no university fees in Sri Lanka but the student must pay for books, accommodation, meals and other expenses. These are way beyond his family's means.

No comments: