Wednesday, July 13, 2011

New Kiva loans


Back from vacation, lending to Julia's.
Julia is 54 years old and has no children under her care. She lives in her own home and works with her daughter. Her house is located in the District of Cata-cos in the Department of Piura, in northern Peru. Julia has a store in her home where she offers her customers and neighbors different products of basic necessity. She also sells beer.

Julia del Socorro is a hard-working and entrepreneurial woman who owns a grocery store. She started her business selling snacks, iced treats, ice, etc. then she gradually started buying bread, eggs, matches and salt in small quantities. She lives in Nicaragua.

Julia Xiomara is 31 years old, she works selling general merchandise. She began with her own funds, and with the advice of her co-workers started getting loans through employees of certain institutions. In this way she began to get her own clients. She accepts payment every other week, which is much more favorable for her customers. The funding that she is currently seeking is to buy nail polish, lipstick, vanity items and underwear. She also lives in Nicaragua.

3 comments:

Carmen Myrtis-Garcia said...

Julia,
I came across your blog today and am very impressed. Your contributions to Kiva caught my attention. I teach women's studies and one of my courses is focused on global issues & activism. My students just completed an assignment which involved learning about microloans through Kiva. I would like to include your blog in the list of recommended books and blogs for my students.

Carmen Myrtis-Garcia said...

Julia, I came across your blog today and your posting about Kiva caught my attention. I teach women's studies. One of my courses is on global issues and activism. My students just completed an assignment which required them to view the Kiva website in order to learn how individuals and small contributions can change people's lives for the better. I will include your blog in the list of recommended readings of books & blogs for my students.

Julia said...

Thanks, I'm honored. Though I must say my blog isn't very good 'reading', I tend to cut and paste and not have time for much writing. Believe it or not I spend a lot of my day writing so for this blog I just try to keep up and post something quick. Not very literate!
Perhaps you will inspire me to write more. When I'm not so busy!
best