Tuesday, April 15, 2008

US National Slavery Museum


I donated to the new US National Slavery Museum and will be a founding member. They really need donations, and the USA really needs this museum.

I have been fascinated by slavery ever since I was a young girl growing up in Montreal. I read all I could on the topic, I just couldn't understand how people could treat other people that way, how they could justify it. I used to wonder what I would do if I grew up then, what it would be like to be a slave, or a slave owner, or the daughter of a slave owner. I never really understood how people could be so mean to each other. I still don't.

Harriet Tubman was one of my mentors and heroes. I still think her bravery is incredible. Its one thing to do the right thing when you don't have time to think about what else to do. Its easy to be a hero in an instant. But to live a heroes life is incredible. She kept going back to the south to bring out slaves, knowing what her life would be like if she got caught. She would have had many, many hours and days and movements where it would have been so easy for her to stop and walk away and live a normal life. No one would have blamed her for stopping, she had already done so much. But she kept going. She inspires courage.

No comments: