Friday, July 18, 2008

Novica Foundation

I attended the Novica Foundation introductory party last night, Novica is starting microcredit loans for its artisans! A master weaver from Peru was there, Leoncio Tinoco. He has been awarded the Amuauta title from Peru, which is given to the most skilled person in the craft. I really wanted to get one of his tapestries, but they started over $1000. I did make a donation to the foundation. And was given kudos by the C.E.O. Roberto Milk for inspiring them with the idea of starting the foundation, when I was there a few months ago as part of a consumer group, I spoke about KIVA and microlending and sparked the the idea. I hadn't realized it, so I helped change the world without knowing it.

Tomorrow I am off to DC for a study section for the National Institute of Health for a few days. So I'll be changing the world by helping select grant proposals to fund to advance biomedical research and help cure diseases. This one is specifically on cancer, and there are some wonderful studies proposed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you work actively everyday to make this world a better place.

Blessings to you!

Sincerely,

-Liane Schmidt.