Monday, August 20, 2007

War


For a peace-loving hippie, I sure did a lot of WAR stuff today.

First I sent off some packages of snacks and batteries and lip balm and more. I made 1 package for my friend Sam who got deployed last month to Iraq, and 3 more to anysoldiers. (1 actually went to any marine). I included cards, and cried as I wrote.


Its really hard writing to the soldiers. What do you say to strangers in war zones? Hope all is well with you? Hope you're having a good day? So I say a lot of 'thinking of you', 'take care', 'he're some snacks'.

With Sam its easier to write, we share memories. I was with him about this time last year, we had good times wandering the hills of Pennselvania together sharing song and wine and laughter. But with Sam its also harder. I have so many fears and anxieties about him. Thinking about Sam makes me teary often.

I then furthered my WAR day by working on a grant proposal to find genes for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, for the Department of Defense. They've put out a call for proposals and I'm going to respond.

No comments: