Monday, December 03, 2007

My 300th kiva loan


Late last night I made my 300th Kiva loan. I think this loan really signifies how much Kiva can change someone's life.

The loan was to Amelia Sánchez in Equador. Amelia runs an eatery where she sells lunches and snacks. She started the business four years ago, and she has one of her sister’s help attending to her clients. She lives in a cane house.
She would like to use part of the funds to buy additional food products such as rice and sugar. She would use the other part of the loan to buy tables and chairs, which would help her provide better accommodations for her customers.

She borrowed $675. For that small amount (to us), she will be able to move her business to the next level, and earn more profit. Without this loan, it might take her years to save this much money. And that's not a good way to do business.

So next time I'm in Ecuador I'm going to look her up.

1 comment:

Bryan Siegel said...

Here in the U.S people I feel people do not appreciate what they have. Having experienced poverty in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, I experienced first-hand how easy I have it over here.

Now as a grown man I give what I can and provide a handout to anyone within need (I'm not a rich man, but I do what I can). I've never heard of Kiva and think I might read up a little bit more about it, it sounds interesting.

Thank you for making a difference! I wish there were more people out there that cared.

Bryan Siegel