Sunday, October 07, 2007

Sunday's mutterings

I found a great place to donate some of my fabric scraps - to an art director of an inner city LA school that lives relatively near me. She is willing to take all the scraps I can give her, I filled up my trunk today and dropped off a load of about 10 garbage bags. My business (Garb the World) is doing very well and we are generating a lot of scraps; several garbage bags daily. We used to donate them to someone who drove them to the Navaho reservation, but she doesn't do it anymore. I had about 5 people come by to sort through them last week, but they only took away a bag or two. I have been contacted by several other people too. I just don't want it to end up in the landfill. FREE FABRIC SCRAPS. We actually offer them free on our site, but you have to pay for shipping. But finding this person was wonderful, because she will take trims and buttons and anything we have, they have 'nothing' as she says. Maybe my fabric will keep kids out of gangs.

I have been working on some Kiva displays in second life, on a book with all our kiva loans
(www.kiva.org/lender/secondlife1494). I think its good to emphasize how we are changing lindens into loans. We've made 19 loans so far, many from recent donations through our displays and stalls. Can't wait till we get an office. Well, I can wait, the displays aren't ready yet anyhow!

And of course I've been doing Obama things.

"As a citizen, you have a choice between two different paths. One path is
easy. When you turn on the TV or open the newspaper and hear about all
the trouble in the world you could walk away from the stories about Iraq or
poverty or violence or joblessness or hopelessness. Just turn it off and
tune out. That would be the easiest thing in the world to do. There will be
pundits and politicians who will tell you that it's someone else's fault and
someone else's problem to fix.

I am not one of them.

There is a second path. This one is more difficult. It asks more of you. It
asks you to not just pursue your own individual dreams, but to help perfect
our collective dream as a nation. It asks you to realize there is more to life
than being rich, thin, young, famous, safe, and entertained. It asks you to
recognize that there are people out there who need you."

- Barack Obama

No comments: