Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Save Darfur


I signed a petition today to the new Secretary General of the UN to ask him to prioritize focusing on the crisis in Darfur.

I also sent a petition to President Bush, asking him to move on to 'plan B', since the other plan doesn't seem to be working. I am more optimistic about the former petition.

I used the zipcode locator on the savedarfur.org website and found a few local groups. I just joined the Los Angeles group, and see they have an event coming up, to protest in front of the Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China.

• China is the leading foreign investor in Sudan, with an annual trade value of roughly $1 billion.
• Sudan is the third largest supplier of oil to China.
• China, as the key trading partner in Sudan, is in a unique position to affect the atrocities in Darfur.

I'm not sure I can tell another country to do something that my country isn't doing. But it would be nice if they did something.

I also signed up to recieve weekly action plans on what to do to help Darfur.

No comments: