Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sending Kiva Gift Certificates to Strangers


I bought my first Kiva Gift Certificate today, and I sent it to someone I don't know. And I'm not sure he reads all his emails. He goes by the name of Perez Hilton, and runs one of the biggest tabloid websites. He gets millions of hits a day. What's amazing about it, is that he does it all himself, and how fast things get posted. His site is very tabloidy. So I'm hoping he will use the gift certificate and get involved in Kiva, even if he just puts a banner on his page.

I also lent to Emilio Plata who is a craftsman in Nicaragua. His description is only in Spanish and I am worried few people will bid. I emailed Kiva and asked them to put a comment place so we can do translations if this happens. But they are probably very busy.

9 comments:

Julia said...

He replied within 1/2 an hour asking if it was legit.

HE GOT IT!!!!

I can just picture him bidding on a clothing stall in the Ukraine. But we'll see.

Eve Leveune said...

Great idea, Julia! I've linked toyou now, http://talkathon.org

Julia said...

Well that might bring my readership past 5!

thanks. I'm honoured!

Eve Leveune said...

Don't kid yourself. hiundreds of people are looking at Talkathon.org since KivaThon was featured on Twitter. I've put your blog and lender page up there as well.

Julia said...

That's such a strange feeling. I kind of started this as a way to record what I do, I never really thought anyone else would read it.

Eve Leveune said...

No one reads anything on the web, so you're safe there. But who knows, maybe someone will be inspired by you to do something. Someone can contact me (tell the right person) at my gmail on talkshoe to organize a show about your pres candidate, ok? I don't actually see how to contact you on this blog.

Julia said...

I sent you email, did you get it?

Eve Leveune said...

I got it and answered. You wrote to .com, not .org!

Know about this one?
ChangingThePresent.org?

The Internet can change the world. It just needs people being aware of that aspect.

Ramon said...

Julia--

I actually added you to my Outlook RSS stream a while ago, so all posts get automatically into my email stream here at work...

As for your loan to Emilio, I just tried to post a translation to it as a comment, but it got rejected as SPAM by Kiva :(((

Anyways, I am pretty sure you read Spanish, so I guess I don't need to translate for you :)